Head Restraint Protection Test is to provide
the information on head restraint protection to consumer and induce development of head restraint excellent in protection for the supply and spreading of safe vehicle including the reduction in neck injury during car accident, etc.
1. Test Seat : Driver seat & front passenger seat in first row of vehicle
2. Test Equipment : Three dimensional mannequin & head restraint measurement device
3. Measurement Item : Height & backward distance of head restraint
4. Measurement Location
- Height Adjustable Head Restraint : Measure height and backward distance uppermost and bottommost height
- Tilt Adjustable Head Restraint : Measure height and backward distance at most forward and backward tilt
- Height & Tilt Adjustable Head Restraint : Measure height and backward distance at the most forward and backward tilt in uppermost height and bottommost height
5. Determination of Test Point : Determination on test point based on type of head restraint
- Height Adjustable Head Restraint : Determine the test point with the medium of height and backward distance measured at the state where height of head restraint is adjusted to uppermost and bottommost.
- Height & Tilt Adjustable Head Restraint : Set point measured at the bottommost and most backward location of head restraint as cardinal point, draw lines that connects the remaining three points, find the geometrical center point of each line and determine the most favorable point among the three center points as the test point.
6. Indication of rollover resistance rating : Classify into 4 levels and calculate the level
according to the domain where determined test point belongs to.
- According to the result of study on proper location of head restraint for minimization of neck injury, it was revealed in that head restraint may properly restrain the relative behavior of neck and body of passenger if height of head restraint is adjusted to exceed 3/2 of height of passenger's head backset is adjusted to be under 7.5cm . Therefore, vehicle passenger may adjust the location of head restraint considering the above fact in case adjustable head restraint is placed in the vehicle.